Nebraska: Honestly, it’s not for everyone…
But, it could be.
Legislative Session is in full swing and a slew of bills aimed at making Nebraska a happier and fairer place for people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ folx, and anyone else that isn’t rich, white, straight, cis, and male (the only people for whom Nebraska is for at the moment…)
With only three days of bill introduction under our belts we’ve already seen legislation proposed to exclude public breastfeeding from being charged as public indecency, ban conversion therapy, eliminate slavery or indentured servitude as a punishment for crime, and a lot of other bills that progressive Nebraskans thought they would only ever dream of having introduced.
But we can’t forget about the trash bills that are much more familiar to Nebraskans, and there are no shortage of them so far this year.
A bill not only requiring all public schools to have “In God We Trust” displayed prominently, but also requiring the Attorney General to defend the schools in any of the First Amendment lawsuits that are bound to come up was introduced.
We also have the anti-public education Senator returning as the the chair of the education committee. What was one of the first pieces of legislation he brought? The right to physically assault school children that are misbehaving…
So what can you do to champion the good bills and keep the trash bills stuck in committee where they belong?
1. Knowledge is power!
- If you don’t know who your Senator is, find out!
- You can read about these and other bills on the Nebraska Legislature’s website.
- Watch the daily live stream of the debates to see what your and other Senators are saying about the bills that matter most to you.
2. Make your voice heard!
- Call your Senator and the Senators of the committee the bill is in! You can find their contact information here and who is on what committee here.
- Testify at a committee hearing!
- Track up to 15 bills using the Unicameral’s bill tracker. Get notifications for hearings, votes, and any other updates to the bills you are following.
Paying attention to what is happening in your local and state government is SO important. While you can’t change the government shut down you CAN make a huge impact on what happens right here in Nebraska. Pay attention, get involved, and fight for the things that will make Nebraska a place for everyone!